Where friends, superb cuisine and history converge
Hillside Depot at its original site at Hillside, AZ
Any photos that our patrons might have of the Hillside Depot in any of its transitions would be appreciated. We would be pleased to post them on this site.
Iron Springs Café, originally the Hillside Depot, was first established in 1894 by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway. Only a three-room structure located 45 miles southwest of Prescott, the depot was constructed for $819, Hillside is an area known for its ranching and mining. Hillside Depot served as a station for the passengers and freight that moved through the Arizona territory.
You are invited to “come aboard” and enjoy the unusual combination of Southwest and Cajun culinary. The quaint charm and atmosphere, both inside the old depot or outside on the secluded open air patio, invites you to relax and join with friends for great food and great conversation. The chefs have decades of restaurant experience, specializing in Southwest Cajun infusion with daily blackboard specials. Iron Springs also serves beer, wine and cocktails. Reservations are accepted, along with most major credit cards.
In 1920 Hillside Depot continued to operate after the line was taken over by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe. With more efficient over-the-road capabilities however, and with trucks hauling ore and cattle, Hillside Depot was then sold to a private party in the early 1970's.
The building was moved in 1974 to its present location (which is actually on the original Peavine Line to Skull Valley) and converted to a restaurant. As Iron Springs Café it has become one of Prescott's most popular spots to dine.
The proprietor, Judy May, puts a special effort into every aspect of the restaurant to maintain the high quality food and service for which Iron Springs Café is famous. They proudly serve the public in one of only a handful of remaining Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway train depots. They have also received numerous culinary awards including Northern Arizona Readers Best Pick for Southwest Infusion award from Zene Magazine 2004, as well as achieving the Golden Plate Award for the last five years which is given to area restaurants by the Yavapai County Health Department for a perfect health quality standards inspection over the course of a year.